Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ousted 'Community' creator, Dan Harmon speaks to Duncan Trussell about "permanence"

'Community' creator Dan Harmon on Duncan Trussell's podcast 
Ousted 'Community' creator, Dan Harmon speaking philosophically about his time on the show and why it was all worth it
Duncan Trussell Family Hour - Episode 33: Dan Harmon
DAN HARMON: I spent 3 years doing that job, at the end off it I didn't want to spend 3 more years doing it... I could have spent that 3 years sitting at the bar, drinking and being funny with my friends listening to Johnny Cash music. The reward so much more intense and permanent, maybe not permanent but for me permanent. I'll go to my grave and the last thing I can think about, if I do nothing else for the rest of my life, I did that show for 3 years and that cannot be taken away from me.
There will be a little stack of CDs or holograms or something on my deathbed that represent the fact I did this thing and it cannot be undone. It was done. Nothing's more satisfying than that.
There's a lot hard jobs where you lift boxes, wash dishes and there is no point to it. There is no permanence to it, you washed the dish, someone makes it dirty again. You lifted the box, what was in the box? You don't even know. Noone knows you lifted it, you only did it cuz the forklift was broken.
I did the show and I did it because I was the only one that could do it and when I was done I accomplished something that only I could have done and I have it for the rest of my life. And if it took 10 years off my life biologically, it was definitely a good investment.
Find other Dan Harmon and Duncan Trussell conversations here:
- Ousted 'Community' creator, Dan Harmon speaks to Duncan Trussell about "permanence"
- Dan Harmon and Duncan Trussell: We are in a simulation echo. God was originally a mortal programmer who "sacrificed himself as a player"
- 'Wreck-It Ralph' and Simulation Theory: Are we characters in a Video Game?

No comments:

Post a Comment